Frida is a free and open-source dynamic code instrumentation toolkit, used for intercepting IPC(Interprocess Communication) requests and modifying it to make a function perform the desired operation, this concept is called Hooking. Dynamic instrumentation is the process of modifying the instructions of a binary program while it executes.
Some use cases of Frida
- Spy on Crypto APIs
- Modify function’s output
- Bypass AES encryption
- Bypass SSLPinning and Root detection
- Trace private application code
- Bypass various software sided locks (like app lock)
We need to install the Frida tool on a laptop/PC and Frida Server on a mobile device.
- 1.Install Python 3 and the latest pip.
- 2.Open the terminal or command prompt and run the following command.
pip install frida-tools
- 3.Verify Frida is installed properly.
- 4.If the version is displayed then Frida is properly installed.
- 1.Execute the following command to get to know about the process type on the device( Emulator/Physical device ).
adb shell getprop | grep abi
- 3.Unzip the downloaded folder and CD into the directory.
- 4.Push Frida Server into the device.
ADB push Frida server /data/local/tmp
- 5.Do ADB shell and CD into /data/local/tmp.
adb shell su cd data/local/tmp
- 6.Give Executable permission to Frida Server.
chmod 777 frida-server
- 7.Run Frida Server.